my heart looks like your heart

my heart looks like your heart

Sunday, February 22, 2015

birthing and the giving of life

i love my children not because i have to love my children,
it is not a duty
or a job
or a responsibility
to love someone.


and i don't want my children to love me
out of obligation
or as an answer to bringing them into this world.


the act of one human being coming out of another human is a miraculous gift, but the birthing is not the giving of life.


the giving of life is
the loving
the choosing
the respecting
the connecting
the committing
the guiding
the protecting
the holding
the covering
the teaching
the encouraging
the valuing
the healing
the honoring
the investing of a lifetime
the breathing of breath
the feeding not of food but of the soul
the nurturing not of the body
but of the spirit
the answering to a calling

the knowing
that my heart
looks like their heart ...




No comments:

Post a Comment